9 Tips on Finding the Right Home Comfort Contractor
Choosing the proper contractor to install your home’s heating or air conditioning comfort system is, in many cases, more important than the choice of what brand of equipment to have installed. Correct installation and maintenance is necessary for the equipment to work reliably, safely and at peak efficiency. Here’s what to look for:
9 important guidelines when selecting your next home comfort system contractor:
- If a contractor has been recommended to you, or if you already know one, that’s a great place to start. It’s also a good idea to consult family and friends to see who they’ve used, and learn what their experiences were concerning a contractor’s recent installation and service quality.
- Many leading residential contractors have the proper training and credentials to perform quality work. We recommend that you look for a local contractor that has a NATE (North American Technician Excellence) Certificate and offers ENERGY STAR products that meet current energy-efficiency standards.
- A properly-trained HVAC specialist is not just a salesperson, but a fully qualified home comfort design engineer that will take all the measurements needed for heat- and cooling-load calculations. A properly-trained estimator will never simply look at the size of the existing equipment and offer a proposal based on just that information.
- A good contractor’s representative will not only survey the home, but will ask about seasonal comfort problems you’ve experienced, and suggest ways to solve these issues as part of the proposed replacement system installation.
- A trusted contractor will be fully insured AND bonded. The company’s employees should be background-checked and the contracting business should conduct routine drug screenings.
- A credible company will offer written quotations – listing all equipment to be installed, work to be completed, and associated warranties that will be in place after the job is completed.
- It is wise to get several proposals for the work to be done, and select the bid that seems to offer the best total value for you (not necessarily the lowest price). Be wary of the extremely low bidder. You can check the general reputation of contractors with the several reporting agencies like the Better Business Bureau, Angie’s List and Yelp. Look for an A+ rating!
- A reliable company is one that is professional, courteous and very thorough. How a company treats you now reflects upon how they will treat your home during and after the installation process.
The professionals at UGI Heating, Cooling & Plumbing have been local installation experts for 120 years. Please do not hesitate to call us with any questions or to make an appointment for a FREE evaluation of your home’s comfort system. Our comfort engineers are highly trained to guide you on making informed choices. You can count on our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.